Tags: 

Resolved
  • tapnik
    Participant
    #10898 |

Hey, I need help! I’ve been stuck on naming an app I’m working on for almost a year now, and it’s getting close enough to being finished that I can’t put it off any longer. I’m really excited by naming and branding stuff and that’s part of the problem, I am definitely overthinking this and have probably passed up plenty of names that would work, I think I’m too close to the problem…

The app lets amateur musicians play along with any video on youtube. It provides an easy interface to enter in the chords (there are tons of websites to look these up), and shows a synchronized chord chart and suggests chord diagrams so you can keep your place and handle unfamiliar chords.

Anyways, for the past year or so my working title has been “More Cowbell”, which I thought was very amusing but my beta testers gave it the thumbs down and some people were legitimately confused about it having to do with a literal cowbell or percussion. Also if you’re not familiar with the old “more cowbell” SNL skit, you won’t get the joke, so it’s not a great name.

The other name I considered was “JamAlong”, which is okay if a bit bland, but there’s already some other apps and websites using that name so I don’t want to use that.

I wrote up a little “Creative Brief” based on a template in the book ‘Hello My Name is Awesome’ that has a lot more specific info about the project, and a screenshot:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1toYKeU2SvdIgYnB7pVPI-tMAk1GvQ5CSZCKLx0eHByM/edit?usp=sharing

I’m definitely looking for name suggestions, but also advice on how to get unstuck on this and stop overthinking it. Thanks!

ps. if you want a promo code for the app when it’s done let me know, I’m happy to share them…

• snark
    Keymaster
    #10899 |

Too bad — I love More Cowbell. But I get the risk of confusion.

Jambam

Jambo

Jambox

Jamalama

Videojam

• tapnik
    Participant
    #10901 |

Ooo I like Jamalama.. that might work. I could even have a little llama mascot. I’ll keep that one in mind and see if it sticks..

Jambox is good too but it’s already in use.

• snark
    Keymaster
    #10903 |

Jammy

Jammer

Jamera

• Blindweezy JeffersonBlindweezy Jefferson
    Participant
    #10910 |

Jambone

Harpist

Jamix

Jammy

Playlab

Jammo

Be Sharp

Playa

Particplay

Jamvid

Fifther

Elvid

• tapnik
    Participant
    #10911 |

Oh, I like Jammo and Jambone. Be Sharp is good too, except there’s no such note. But maybe that’s the point. 🙂

I think I’m going to go with “Jamalama” tho. I tried the name out with a few people, and they didn’t hate it and could recall the name 10-15 minutes later, which is pretty good, and also there doesn’t seem to be anything else using it so it should be pretty searchable.

Thanks! And thanks, snark, for the great suggestion and for solving my naming crisis.

• snark
    Keymaster
    #10913 |

Glad it worked out for you! Best of luck with your app rollout – we’ll keep an eye out for it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.