Resolved
Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Doozie
      Participant
      #4231 |

I’m building a Community Food Centre (CFC) in Calgary, AB, Canada and it is a part of a network of CFCs. It is an innovative model that is an alternative to the food bank as it prioritizes healthy locally-sourced food for people on a low-income – a hand up rather than a hand out. So there are drop-in meals for those that need it but in a dignified space, and there is also skills-based programming so people can learn and share good food. Last, there is an advocacy aspect which allows for the space to build community so that citizens can speak up about the food and social issues that matter to them.

Essentially it will be a community centre with a big kitchen, dining hall, meeting space and gardening. Community Food Centres Canada’s tagline is ‘Food is just the Beginning’. Our mission is to grow, cook, share and advocate for good food.

The existing CFCs are names The Stop (Community Food Centre), The Local, The Table, Norwest, Dartmouth, and Regeant Park (all followed by Community Food Centre).

Here in Calgary, I hope the name is welcoming, short because Community Food Centre is long, and indicative of the sharing/communal nature of food as well as possibly the international nature of food.

Ideas???

• Jane
      Participant
      #4234 |

I’m thinking of the words cherish and nourish but don’t know what to do with them. Sorry, this is a new activity for me. 🙂 Maybe those will help someone else run with something.

• Franny
      Participant
      #4235 |

Gather

The Hearth

Salud

Break Bread

The Village

The Spoon

• Doozie
      Participant
      #4268 |

Thanks Franny. We have considered some of those so it means we’re on the right track. We have also tried out The Root or The Route to play on grassroots, vegetableroots, family roots, but it is not a for sure fit. Also we have tried out Home Plate since it conjures the right ideas, depending on whether it’s too baseball. (Calgary is not a very baseball town so we might be okay). Thoughts?

• snark
      Keymaster
      #4270 |

I like Home Plate a lot. To differentiate is a little from baseball, you could go with Home Plates, plural.

Plate & Spoon

PlateUp

The Village Spoon (nod to Franny)

Loving Spoonful (nod to the band)

Tender Mercies (nod to the film)

Join Hands

Meals To Heal

• Doozie
      Participant
      #4278 |

Thanks Snark! I still can’t get past Homeplate. Maybe because it is so clear and quick to say…Also was trying to keep it short like The Stop, The Local and The Table but that is not mandatory.

• Doozie
      Participant
      #4355 |

What do you guys think of Spade & Spoon compared to Homeplate?

Thanks!

• snark
      Keymaster
      #4357 |

That’s a good name. It’s more about the farm to table experience than the home cooking or “home for the homeless” aspect of Homeplate.

Homespoon (a play on homespun)

Homefree

SweetHome

• Franny
      Participant
      #4360 |

Spade & Spoon is good, but doesn’t quite roll off the tongue with the double “S” –throwing a couple more into the ring:

The Placemat

The Welcome Mat

(could be shortened to The “Mat?”)

• snark
      Keymaster
      #4369 |

Like Laundromat 😉

Or the old Automats that were basically vending machines for meals.

I think Homeplate is the winner. Making it all one word helps differentiate it from the baseball usage, which is “home plate.”

SharePlate

OpenPlate

Platewise

Viewing 9 reply threads

The topic ‘Name for a Community Food Centre’ is closed to new replies.

Don't forget to try our famous Name Generators – like this one: